Oh those Street Vendors!!

I think one of the most difficult things about living in Djibouti is dealing with the vendors on the street. You can't leave your hotel without being solicited by one or the other offering items that you wouldn't accept for free. "Hey, Mister!" I have some good sunglasses for you." When I show him my Ray-Bans, he claims that his are of higher quality. Or, would you like to buy a Rolex watch? Yeah, I haven't heard that one before.

But, I guess it's not really that bad. It's just when you're in the mood to take a leisurely stroll, you'd prefer to be left alone. The constant soliciting has a cumulative effect I guess.

I can still find some humor in the situation however. This afternoon, I was walking to the supermarket and a shepard had his flock herded together while offering them for sale. I walked up to where he was, he looked at me, I looked at him and we both laughed!! I believe we both knew what each of us was thinking. He knew I was thinking, "Oh, God! Please don't try to sell me a sheep." I knew he was thinking how ludicrous it would be to try to sell the sheep to me. So much so, that it made him laugh. It doesn't sound like much, but that situation made my day.

My only regret was I didn't have my camera with me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arta, Djibouti