Travelogue Slovakia (4)

Written August 17, 2006

This travelogue's a little early as I wanted to get it out before the weekend. I know I'm probably overwhelming everyone with all the pictures and stories. I promise to cut back on them to once every few weeks which was my original intent anyway. I've just been so excited about being here and wanted to share this excitement with my friends. Please try to tolerate this weakness of mine!

Well, I've been training my students for two weeks now and all I can say is that it's been wonderful. They are so motivated!! They do anything you ask of them. I caught myself whistling at 5am this morning while thinking about going to work. I don't think that's ever happened before. I sometimes go into the classroom during breaks just to talk to them. It's insane. They are good students and very interesting people.

By now, I thought the novelty of knowing an American would have worn off and I would have had fewer social obligations. It seems to be increasing if anything. I find this odd as, historically, a person's desire to be around me has been inversely proportional to how well they knew me. That doesn't seem to apply here. Well, there are 100,000 people in this city and I've probably already met about 1000 so I still have some work to do!

http://picasaweb.google.com/mccoy4984/TravelogueSlovakia4

Okay, time for the pictures. A little bit of background . . . after classes today, some of my students invited me out for a walk around town. The first picture is a shot from the tower of a Catholic Church (St. Nicholas, built in 1347) of the downtown area in Presov. It was another steep climb up a spiraling staircase to get this picture. The next two pictures are of the inside of the same church. I especially like the stained glass windows in these ancient churches. Finally, the last picture is one of my students. As I said, they're great.

Next edition should be out in a few weeks. As always, feedback is appreciated.

Russ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arta, Djibouti