Travelogue Djibouti (4) Near the Beach

Written on December 14, 2007

Hi! I hope this travelogue isn't boring compared to the last one. I did try to include more dangerous animals and you will see from the pictures that the level of danger continues to increase. Do you remember the person who followed grizzlies and was eventually mauled to death? They made a documentary from his footage but I can't recall the name of it right now. Anyway, I hope to avoid his fate!

Not too much new to report here. I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the support I receive from the embassy. Unlike previous MTTs, most of my acquaintances here are Westerners who either work at the embassy or Camp Le Monier. I also meet a lot of people just passing through on TDY usually at the Monday night basketball games. Anyway, I used to think you could only get visas at an embassy but I now know there's a whole social network to be had there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. For my profession, this has to be the best job in the world. If you want to live in the US, you can. If you want to travel, you can. It's the best of both worlds.

Now, for the pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mccoy4984/TravelogueDjibouti4NearTheBeach

#1 This beast was preparing for a charge at me!! Fortunately, he seemed to be scratching himself against a tree and this may have been all that saved me.

#2 I don't know, I thought you might want to see a picture of my rental car. It's a Nissan 'Sunny.' Have you ever heard of this model? It's definitely a step up for me as those of you who have seen my car know.

Okay, let me know what you think. The next TL will got out in a few weeks. Take care, Russ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arta, Djibouti