My 'European' Heritage

Wow!  There were a lot of surprises from my genealogical research over the past month.  As mentioned in a previous post, my DNA results indicate more of a 'Continental Europe' influence than a 'British Isles' one.  This was initially confusing since every surname I've ever been aware of was British in nature.  The problem was that I hadn't yet gone back far enough in my research.  I have now researched six generations and found the following surnames in my ancestry:

Father's Branch

German

Krummholz (Anglicized to Crum)
Honaker
Schmidt (Smith)
Scherp
Ries (Reese)
Hermann (Harmon)
Seiburren
Laitmer
Englert
Haan
Rodenbucher

French

Auxier (actually, Alsatian so could also be considered German)
Depuy

Dutch

Hornbeck
Roosa
Wynkoop
Pels
Van Vliet (Van Fleet)
DeHooges


Mother's Branch

German

Schrader
Nin
Bader (Borders)
Balterspergerin
Kuppler

French

Poteet
Tonnelier (Tunnell)
Regnault
Martiau
Brasseuir (Brashears)
Dubois
Brevard


As you can see, most of this influence comes from my father's lineage rather than my mother's.  This makes sense in a way because my largest concentration is 32% Europe West whereas, my mother's is 52% British.  I wish I could get my father's results to confirm this but he has an aversion to such tests!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arta, Djibouti