Harlan, Kentucky (Part 1)

I took another trip yesterday, this time to Harlan, Ky.  I'd never been there before since it's about 120 miles southwest of where I grew up and about 180 miles from where I'm living now.  All of that distance on rough roads and through high mountains made it difficult to visit in the past.  Also, the area had had quite the reputation for violence because of clashes between coal miners and owners over the push for unionization.  It was even nicknamed "Bloody Harlan" due to all the deaths that resulted from this.  Still, I really wanted to go there and take some pictures since this is the hometown of a friend and former coworker of mine.  I hope he enjoys these.  

In the first picture, you can read about the early history of Harlan.  Click the picture to read.  




In the next one, you see the Harlan County tourist office.  I went in there and gathered up several brochures for my next trip to the area.




This is literally the main street you can see in the third picture.  One interesting thing, this town, like others I've recently visited, had a surplus of free parking available.  




Main Street from the other end.




The fire station.




And finally, the local Baptist church.  Impressive!




More to come soon!













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arta, Djibouti