Basic Training: Bivouac

'Bivouac' is an event near the end of basic training when you deploy to the field for several days.  My unit deployed on a Sunday evening in late January when the temperature was unseasonably warm.  By the end of the week, we were operating under blizzard conditions and with subzero temps.  As a matter of fact, the ground was so frozen at that point, we couldn't even dig out our tent pegs during teardown.  In between deployment and recovery, we participated in various trainings both day and night.  One of my 'fondest' memories, besides the elements, was being hit with gas every night.  The usual procedure involved a DI putting a CS Riot cannister on the end of a pole, popping it, and then inserting the pole into one of the two-men pup tents.  The challenge for those inside the tent was to wake up quickly enough to don your mask and avoid the worst effects of the gas.  We were getting hit so often that I actually started sleeping with my mask on.  In this way, I killed two birds with one stone; I avoided the gas and also kept my face warm.  Ah, those were the days.

Anyway, below you can see some pics of us out in the field during that time.  Not sure if the pics convey it, but we were constantly shivering from the cold.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arta, Djibouti