Basic Training: Reception Station

On my first day in the Army, I flew out of Beckley, WV (my first time ever on a plane), with a destination of St. Louis, Mo. In St. Louis, I boarded a bus for Fort Leonard Wood, about a two-hour ride which gives you more than enough time to contemplate your fate. Now, what many of you who've never been in the Army don't know is that you don't immediately go to your basic training unit upon arrival. Instead, you spend three-five days in a reception center where they issue your uniforms, gear, etc. One of my 'fondest' memories of that time was receiving my vaccinations. We walked down a line between technicians with 'guns' who shot us several times in each arm. I think I received more than 20 vaccines that day! Anyway, several reception center tasks are shown in the scans below. Have no doubt, though, the pictures don't convey the fear we all had nor the exhaustion from being on a non-stop schedule.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arta, Djibouti