Basic Training: Weapons Training

Here are some photos of my actual company/platoon during M-16 Rifle disassembly/assembly instruction and firing of the M203 Attached Grenade Launcher. What I notice most about that first picture is how everyone looks so similar what with wearing the same uniform and having shaved heads. I also remember a lot of sniffing and coughing due to the effects of training outside during an Ozark winter. During grenade launcher training, we were trying to hit an old tank (moving on a rail left to right) as we fired at it. We each got only one round to fire since we didn't have to qualify with this weapon. What I remember most about this was maximizing the one round I had. Like everyone else, I missed terribly but my round flew ahead of the main body of the tank and hit the barrel itself! We knew this because we saw a flash where the round had struck. The training DI told me it was the first time he'd ever seen anything like that.
One more observation. In the very last section of the second picture, you can see my primary Drill Instructor, SSG Benny Hopkins, facing the camera. He was a Vietnam vet (as a 12B) and tough as nails. I came out of basic training with so much respect for that guy.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arta, Djibouti